Tune in and get it done
Are you facing a giant organizing project that you’re having trouble feeling motivated to start? Make a playlist to help motivate you to carry through to the end of the project.
Music is proven to motivate and energize us – in fact headphones are banned in several sports because music gives athletes too much of an advantage! Choosing music with a high BPM (Beats Per Minute) forces your brain to focus and you will start to synchronize your movements with the beat of the song.
For low to medium intensity work, like rearranging the garage, an ideal BPM range is 120 – 132bpm. This music will be high energy enough to keep you engaged and active, but isn’t going to have you subconsciously pushing yourself harder than you want to go. Put a few slower and faster songs in the mix to keep it interesting.
Don’t forget about melody and lyrics. Various studies have shown that how a melody in a song is constructed can affect us physically. Take Adele’s smash hit “Someone Like You” for instance, not only are the lyrics heartbreaking and raw, the melody is written to include “appoggiaturas” – ornamental notes that clash with the melody just enough to create a dissonant sound. And dissonant sound is what causes a physical reaction in human beings.
Pick songs that you love to sing along to. A great beat and fun lyrics will keep you jazzed as you do the job that you’ve been putting off.
The power of music doesn’t stop at keeping you energized during a workout or a marathon organizing session. Did you know that music has been shown to reduce the pain of rheumatoid arthritis by up to 25%? With regular music therapy you can lower blood pressure, speed post-stroke recovery, boost your immunity, enhance intelligence and improve your memory performance. You can read more about it in the UK’s Journal of Advanced Nursing.
When we’re getting ready to tackle a large project, we make a playlist to jam along to. It keeps us motivated and it’s fun. The following are some of our favourite tunes, and if you visit our YouTube page this is a great 1 hour and 15 minute long play list, ready to go.
1. Get the Party Started – Pink (129 BPM)
2. Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) – Kelly Clarkson (128 BPM)
3. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic – The Police (180 BPM)
4. Somebody That I Used to Know – Gotye (129 BPM)
5. Call Me Maybe – Carly Rae Jepsen (80 BPM)
6. Moves Like Jagger – Maroon 5 ft Christina Augilera (128 BPM)
7. Say My Name – Destiny’s Child (127 BPM)
8. Summer of ’69 – Bryan Adams (140 BPM)
9. Set Fire to the Rain – Adele (108 BPM)
10. We Found Love – Rihanna (128 BPM)
11. I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor (117)
12. Another One Bites the Dust – Queen (124)
13. I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar – Helen Reddy (160)
14. Respect – Aretha Franklin (116)
15. Don’t Stop Believing – Journey (135)
16.. Danger Zone – Kenny Loggins (157)
17. Let’s Dance – David Bowie (114)
18. Walk This Way – Aerosmith (107)
19. Leader of the Pack – The Shangri-Las (112)
20. Let’s Get it Started – The Black Eyed Peas